The Italian Junkyard

Thoughts, ideas, criticism about cars. Interesting news and facts from the world of the automobile. Events in Italy and Modena. What you can find elsewhere, filtered through the eyes of a discerning enthusiast. Design, style, everything on the chopping block. Nobody is safe anymore.

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Spotted in the City - 1959 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II



This white wedding car was spotted at the end of September, in Padua, my hometown.

Even if using a Rolls Royce as a wedding car may seem a bit banal, it doesn't happen to see one of them everyday, right?
This specific model is a 1959 Rolls Royce Silver Cloud II. To be completely honest, I'm not sure if it's a Silver Cloud II or I, as I'm no expert of classic RR cars, but I did my homework, and this is what I came out with...



This is one of only 2418 short wheelbase (SWB) units ever made. It's actually 2311 as 107 of those cars were bodied with the H.J. Mulliner drophead coupe variants. Then you should 299 long wheelbase (LWB) models, with 41 of them being bodied by H.J Mulliner, 38 by James Young, one by Chapron and another one by Hooper. All in all we have 2717 Silver Cloud II.



The main differences between a mark I and a mark II is the engine, now an aluminum 6.23 V8 engine, which lasted until the nineties albeit obviously updated, instead of the older straight six. The gearbox was a 4 speed automatic unit, while drum brakes were in charge of stopping the car.




What could makes this very car even more exclusive is something the driver, or the chauffeur should I say, told me. This, according to him, is the only one in the world equipped with a soft top.
Believe it or not, the car is excellently kept, and was running and sounding as new.



I don't think this would be my favorite car for my big day, I'd rather go for something more “specific”, more personal. As I said, it's pretty obvious to think about a Rolls Royce car, and that only means you have more money than those renting an S-Klasse.
I suppose I'd be happier in a Maserati Quattroporte mk1, even if honestly I don't care about the generation, I like them all.
I just can't deny my soft spot for the big Maserati...

A little bit of glory for that black New Beetle too:




All Images Copyright: Damiano Garro

No comments:

Post a Comment