The Italian Junkyard

Thoughts, ideas, criticism about cars. Interesting news and facts from the world of the automobile. Events in Italy and Modena. What you can find elsewhere, filtered through the eyes of a discerning enthusiast. Design, style, everything on the chopping block. Nobody is safe anymore.

Monday, December 14, 2009

Just chilling and wondering, you know...



Everything is fine again, the splog was emptied but I didn't gain those 30 bucks.
Just passed another test, but I won't have much time to relax.
Ups and downs I suppose...

In the meantime, Brazilian friend Fernando De Gennaro from asked for some shots about Modena and its supercars.
This prompted a thought in my head, as recently I have to say I saw literally a very few exotics or eve just interesting cars around the area. This was since way before the cold weather started messing with a health.
More after the jump.

My girlfriend always thought there are more exotics in Padua where my parents are. Padua is definitely larger than Modena, and perhaps it has richer people, or percentage more rich people, but you'd, or at least I'd have expected to spot more interesting cars over here.

Sometimes it happens, but you don't feel like that's something you wouldn't have seen elsewhere.
I may have seen some early Lotus' here, but on the other hand I know for sure a Lancia Fulvia is daily driven in Padua, and I spotted more than one time the first generation of the Alfa Romeo Spider Duetto.

That leads to a second reflection. I noticed since my very first day here that almost all boys and kids are somehow into cars. That's quite obvious when your town is renowned in the whole world thanks mainly to those red beauties on four wheels, among vinegar and Pavarotti, and possibly cherries as well. Damn, it seems a busy town...
So, I was saying, everyone seems to be into cars, at a first glance. It actually turns out that that's just a superficial passion. Not only it is seasoned with quite a lot of wrong or misunderstood facts and info, but it's also more of a pro forma situation, rather than an actual and felt passion.
If you grew up in Modena, you must know something about cars it seems.
At that point, if you have to do something, do it properly though.
That's not the case.


Actually saw this in Modena, I swear.

So it shouldn't surprise you if among the cars you could see here there are plenty of BMW X6s (yeah, those), a some of Hummers and even some Mustangs.
I actually like the recent Mustangs, but I'd have expected something more “European” too.

I never understood this.
A guy who then left university comes from a rich family and what does he ask as his first car? An Audi A3, the 2.0 TDI model, full of options and which eventually cost around 40.000 €.
Does it make sense? I say no. I don't think that buying say a Nissan 350Z would have been a more sensible choice, given he would have probably crashed it instantly, but I don't think his being still safe and sound has something to do with his less powerful ride.
Plenty of this guys wonder and discuss all the day about which Ferrari is faster, or if the new 458 is enough technologically advanced, but then they eventually opts for the usual Mini, not even the Cooper S let alone a JCW, or a standard 500.
I'd rather save some more and buy something more...traditional, given how things are supposed to work over here.


Bertolini's new GranTurismo with MC Line bits and bites


They aren't all this way though.
One of the workers from Pagani has an Honda S2000 which he keeps servicing and maintaining with the same tools he uses to build the almighty Zonda, and another guy working at Maserati Corse has tuned his BMW Z4 M for track days and such, but he also drives it on the road. Bertolini, Maserati official driver, wasn't happy with only 420 bhp on his older GranSport, so they mounted two superchargers from Novitec, good for 600 bhp and a endless slide.
And then there is a guy I don't know, but who parks his Fiat Panda 100HP near my apartment. I love that little and quick box.



So there really are enthusiasts out there, I just thought we were more...

PS: the rest of the Bugatti chapter will follow soon, trust me!

Images Copirights: Alessandro PIER GUIDI team VITAPHONE RACING DHL © DPPI, Fiat Automobili SpA, Hummer H2 Limousine
Maserati GranTurismo S photo Copyright: Damiano Garro

No comments:

Post a Comment